President Obama’s old liberal Harvard Law professor, Laurence Tribe, said that he “wouldn’t bet the family farm” on Obamacare’s surviving the legal challenges to an IRS rule about who is eligible for subsidies that are currently working their way through the federal courts.
“I don’t have a crystal ball,” Tribe told the Fiscal Times. “But I wouldn’t bet the family farm on this coming out in a way that preserves Obamacare.”
The IRS issued a regulation expanding the pool of enrollees who qualify for the subsidies. Opponents of the law, such as the Cato Institute’s Michael Cannon and Jonathan Adler, argue that the IRS does not have the authority to make that change. (Halbig v. Burwell, one of the lawsuits making this argument, is currently pending before the D.C. Circuit Court; the loser will likely appeal the decision to the Supreme Court.)
Only problem is the IRS has NO authority to change any tax law other than that given to it by the Congress. And who’s willing to grant it more authority with its email retention and targeting problems against conservatives?
While another federal district court stated an opposite opinion yesterday, it is likely the explicit intent of Congress, repeated in many drafts of the ACA and the insertion of the “State” clause by Dingy Harry Reid, might mean the death knell for Obamacare. Only confounding factor would be if the ultimate vote of SCOTUS hinges on Chief Justice John Roberts.
We have already seen he’s unreliable to be a constructionist of the Constitution, when he handed the Regime its victory on Obamacare in 2012. Will the Regime “get” to Roberts again?
Coin toss, please!
A city councilman from Hamilton, Ontario has introduced a measure to censor the speech of pro-lifers who dare to show what “choice” looks like via actual photos of aborted babies.
We all know the Canadians are super PC liberal and supress free speech on a regular basis.
Hamilton is a town between Niagra Falls and Toronto.
Wonder if they’ll do the same for the sodomites the next “gay pride” parade that is usually a hodge podge of obscenities and vile explicit X rated perversion? Not likely, guv’nor!
A Christian Holocaust is under way in Iraq.
Yes, just 11 years ago, when the US invaded Iraq to overthrow a blood thirsty dictator, there were approximately 1.5 million Christians, most of them Chaldean, either Catholic in communion with Rome, or schismatic Orthodox.
Now, it is estimated only 400,000 survive in 2014. Some have fled, most have been murdered by the Mohammedans of the “religion of peace”.
In a region where Christians predate Muslims by centuries, over 1.1 million Christians have been killed or have had to flee because of jihadi persecution, while America is basically standing by and watching. This is the Amerikka of the Kenyan kommie, who sang the praises of how the Mohammedans have contributed extensively to America.
This is the sad news that Breitbart’s National Security Editor and one of the world’s leading experts on asymmetric warfare, Dr. Sebastian Gorka, brought to Breitbart News Saturday, hosted by Editor in Chief Alex Marlow on Sirius XM Patriot Radio.
Dr. Gorka explained that “in the last 48 hours, ISIS, which is now called the Islamic State in Mosul, has painted the letter “N” for Nazarene on the houses of all the surviving Christians in the city. ISIS has basically given an ultimatum to all the Christians left: You can either flee or convert to Islam, or we will kill you.” Similar events are occuring in Syria as well.
Meanwhile the US, the world and their secular, anti-God enablers in the drive by state run media remain silent. Will they claim, decades later, “never again”? Highly unlikely, guv’nor!
Watch the video and see how one sleepy southern town, the state capital of Mississippi, creates a culture of allowing criminals to steal the property of others simply because they are pro-life:
On Thursday July 17, 2014, Created Equal (CE) visited Jackson, MS, site of the state’s last remaining abortion facility as part of Day 4 of their Summer Justice Ride. Upon arrival, and despite several attempts by Created Equal’s Mark Harrington to convince police to intervene, CE’s property was stolen while police stood idly by, some of them with coffee cups fully in view stating “I’m doing something right now”.
“The City of Jackson is required to guarantee everyone the right to free speech, not assist our opposition in interfering in the exercise of our speech. Police allowed interference of our constitutionally protected first amendment activity. This kind of outrageous interference of free speech will not be allowed to stand,” stated Mark Harrington, Executive Director, of Columbus, OH based Created Equal.
CE has filed charges against Mike Peters, the perpetrator, who is the owner of Fondren Corner which is located at 2906 N. State St, Jackson, MS — across the street from the baby killing abortion center.
You know it. ESH knows it. The whole world knows it.
That ex-KGB agent in the Kremlin is ultimately the one behind the downing of a Malaysian 777 jetliner yesterday morning over eastern Ukraine air space. This resulted in the deaths of 295 people on board, with speculation 23 of them were American citizens traveling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lampur.
It occured about 20 miles from the Russian border with sophisticated laser-guided and heat seeking missles.
Let’s not pussy foot around like the diplomats will. No sense wasting everyone’s time and efforts with that. Said a report in the NY Post:
Ukrainian Interior Ministry official Anton Gerashenko wrote on Facebook, ‘Europe, USA, Canada, the civilized world, open your eyes! Help us any way you can. This is a war of good against evil.’ Russian President Vladimir Putin blamed Ukraine for the downed plane, while a separatist leader also pointed the finger at the Ukrainian military.
Imagine that! The perp accusing the victims of the crime! Typical Cold War Soviet era agit-prop. These no-good-niks are masters of that kind of propaganda effort. They have no conscience, no soul. Unreformed kommies bitterly clinging to their guns and Das Kapitals.
Meanwhile, the Kenyan kommie continues on his merry way of more fundraising yesterday in NY with the 1 percenter Dem billionaires, while war foments in eastern Europe and Israel and the Hamas in Gaza are on the brink of the same. The US and its allies need to provide defensive weapons–not just K rations–to the freedom loving Ukrainians who do not want the yoke of Russian soviet-style oppression on their country again, as they experienced from the October revolution in 1917 to the late 1980s. They do not want another Holodomor where nearly 10 million Ukrainians were starved to death by the Russian communist government in 1932-33.
Way to go, putz!
ESH presents another guest column from Dr Dianne Irving, PhD, a former bench scientist and also a philosophy professor knowledgable and well trained in the classical areas including, but not limited to, embryology:
[URL will follow]
by Dianne N Irving, MA, PhD
(c) copyright July 15, 2014
Hobby Lobby Gobbledygook — On Both Sides
“So people will continue to be divided on whether these drugs are abortifacients or not, based on their own perceptions of the reproductive process.” (emphases added) [Julie Beck, “What's So Controversial About the Contraceptives in Hobby Lobby” (June 30, 2014), The Atlantic, at: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/whats-so-controversial-about-the-contraceptives-in-the-hobby-lobby-case/373709/]
In considering the Hobby Lobby case, the “religious beliefs” of the plaintiffs just happen to match the long-documented and long-acknowledged objective scientific facts of human embryology. It is not that the plaintiffs are forcing their religious beliefs or subjective opinions on the rest of us, or simply arguing on the basis of their own “perceptions”. Their religious beliefs actually coincide with those objective scientific truths, and thus their position is both accurate and true. Indeed, it is the defendants and their pundits who refuse to acknowledge those objective scientific facts (because they have to) and are continuing to try to force their misguided subjective “beliefs” or “political ideologies on the rest of us, while attempting to claim that “no one really knows”, or “there are lots of opinions”, etc. Sorry. We know. And it is not an opinion or subjective “perception”. Nor are the objective facts of science to be decided by “consensus” of citizens or of politicians — or even by the Supreme Court — but by those who have the academic credentials, Ph.D’s and practical experience, in their respective scientific fields (a point well-taken in both the Nuremburg Code and the Declaration of Helsinki).
The “contraceptives” that the Supreme Court identified as “abortifacient” in the Hobby Lobby case are in fact abortifacient — not because of any religious beliefs of the plaintiffs. In fact, of the other 16 so-called “contraceptives” not touched by this decision, many of those are also probably abortifacient — and women especially have the right to know these objective scientific facts. Even many “pro-choice” women would not use such “contraceptives” if they knew that they could also, in fact, be abortifacient. Contraception is one thing; abortion is quite another.
But it would seem that there’s enough gobbledygook to go around. It doesn’t emanate from just the “pro-choice” side in these debates. Even though most “pro-life” pundits are arguing on solid ground and with good intentions, they often fall into the trap of using the same fake science perpetrated for so long (successfully) by the other side — obviously shooting themselves in the foot in the process. (The otherwise excellent rebuttals by Megan Kelly of FOX NEWS come to mind when she continuously employs the pro-choice fake scientific terms such as “fertilized eggs” that “implant in the woman’s uterus”!). No “eggs” ever implant in any uterus! And if such “pro-lifers” knew several other rather fascinating objective scientific facts about the early human embryo they’d have even more ammunition to use than they do now!
To that end, I am simply going to use a recent article about the Hobby Lobby case (copied at the end) that rather embodies the sort of purposeful “confusion”, “doubt”, and gobbledygook that continues to permeate the air waves and other media on both sides. Aside from any “legal” politics involved, there is no “doubt” or “confusion” about the objective scientific facts involved which have been known and documented globally for over 125 years. I’ll just list the points here, and bold in “red” the relevant statements in the article copied at the end. At least both sides would be able to proselytize with the accurate scientific facts — rather than “on their own (mistaken) perceptions”. Extensive, lengthy, even excessive scientific references from the real scientific experts in human embryology from around the world are available in some of my articles listed at the end. Hopefully both sides — including even “prolife” — will finally admit them:
- It is scientifically objectively false to claim that “All human beings begin to exist at “conception” or “fertilization”. Not all human beings begin to exist at “conception/fertilization”. Only those who are reproduced sexually (fusion of sperm and “egg”) do. Human beings can also be reproduced asexually (without fertilization or the immediate use of sperm or “egg”) — e.g., naturally occurring human monozygotic twins reproduced asexually within the woman’s body, as well as human beings artificially asexually reproduced in IVF and ART research laboratories and “infertility” clinics — many of which are implanted into women and thus can also be aborted.
- The term “conception” generally refers to human beings sexually reproduced at fertilization; however, there are many state laws in the United States that legally mis-define “conception” as beginning at “implantation” (5-7 days post-fertilization).
- In normal human reproduction, a woman is “pregnant” when the new human being begins to exist in her fallopian tube (NOT in her uterus) at fertilization. It is only in artificial reproductive practices that a woman is “pregnant” at implantation when the technician inserts the already existing 5-7 day old human embryo into her uterus. Note, in that case, the embryo already exists in the petri dish, even though the woman is not yet “pregnant”.
- The sexual reproductive process of “fertilization” — which takes place in the woman’s fallopian tube and does NOT take place in her uterus — is not a single point in time, but a process over time (as is “implantation” as well). Even when considering the term “conception” as involving fertilization, the new human being does not begin to exist at the end of the process of fertilization with the formation of the “zygote”, but rather at the beginning of that process upon first contact of the sperm and the “egg”. That earliest human embryo is represented by Carnegie Stage 1a; the “zygote” is represented by Carnegie Stage 1c. Most of the latest unethical human genetic engineering and human cloning is performed with the earliest human embryo before the formation of the “zygote” — convenient. And again, those asexually reproduced human beings are also being implanted into women as “infertility” treatments (or even just for pure “research” purposes), and aborted.
- The product of fertilization is not a “fertilized egg”; it is a new single-cell human being. The “egg” is gone, just as the sperm is gone. No egg there! Note: it is just one cell big! There is no way that this single-celled human being could possibly implant into the woman’s uterus. Pundits on both sides need to stop using the absurd term “fertilized egg” and the absurd phrase “that implants into the uterus”.
- It is not the “fertilized egg” that implants into the woman’s uterus; it is the 5-7 day old human embryo at the “blastocyst” stage of development, often consisting of over 200+ cells!
- While some abortifacients work by changing the lining of the woman’s uterus so that the embryo cannot implant (thus causing that embryo to die), there are usually additional mechanisms involved in these abortifacients that also result in the embryo not implanting. For example, in order to implant into the woman’s uterus, the embryo itself must be at the proper stage of development — or else it can’t implant (even if the lining of the uterus is fine). These abortifacients function by either slowing down the embryo as it travels through the woman’s fallopian tube to try to implant into her uterus, or speeding up the embryo’s traveling. If the embryo is slowed down, then it is too far along in development and will not be able to implant — and thus it dies. If the embryo is speeded up, then it is not developed enough yet and will also not be able to implant — thus it dies.
IN SUM: Considering human beings who are reproduced sexually during normal human sexual reproduction, these human beings begin to exist at the beginning of the process of fertilization in the woman’s fallopian tube when the sperm makes first contact with the “egg”, resulting in a single-cell human organism/human being. This single cell human being begins to grow and develop as it travels through the woman’s fallopian tube towards the uterus where it will try to implant at about 5-7 days when it has reached the “blastocyst” stage of development, consisting often of 200+ cells. At least three mechanisms built into many chemical “contraceptives” can prevent the early human embryo from implanting: (1) the lining of the uterus can be damaged so that even a healthy blastocyst cannot implant — and so it dies; (2) the embryo is slowed down while traveling through the fallopian tube so that it is over-developed by the time it reaches the uterus and cannot implant (even if the lining of the uterus is fine) — and so it dies; (3) the embryo is speeded up while traveling through the fallopian tube so that it is under-developed by the time it reaches the uterus and cannot implant (even if the lining of the uterus is fine) — and so it dies. GIVEN that the four “contraceptives” identified by the Supreme Court in the Hobby Lobby case are in fact, objectively, accurately defined as abortifacients, what could be more “controversial” is how many of the other 16 “contraceptives” not identified by the Supreme Court are also abortifacient.
[Note: The definition of “pregnancy” as “beginning at implantation” referred to by the Supreme Court in its Hobby Lobby decision is from the 45 CFR 46.202 federal regulations (URL in the article below: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/45/46.202), which in turn was legally derived from the 1981 OPRR federal regulations on the use of human subjects (mandated by the 1974 National Research Act, which also mandated the formal “birth” of bioethics) -- now referred to as the OHRP federal regulations. It was Richard Doerflinger of the USCCB who proudly and admittedly inserted two false scientific definitions in those 1981 OPRR federal regulations on which the OHRP and the CFR federal regulations are based: “fetus” was falsely defined as “beginning at implantation” (absolutely absurd; the “fetal” period doesn’t begin until 9 weeks post-fertilization; no definition of “embryo” throughout the first 8 weeks at all); and “pregnancy” was also falsely defined as ‘beginning at implantation.]
For extensive scientific references, see Irving:
– The Genuine Carnegie Stages (September 8, 2013), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_216genuinecarnegiestages.html
– FERTILIZATION and IMPLANTATION of the Early Human Embryo: Accurate Scientific Resources (May 8, 2013), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_212accurateresources1.html
– Plan B’s Manufacturer: Pills Can Be Abortifacient (April 27, 2013), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_211manufacturerandpills.html
– “Contraceptive” and “Morning After” Pills: Women and Young Girls, You’re On Your Own (April 5, 2013), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_210asecret.html
– “Conception” is not “The Immaculate Conception” (January 26, 2013), at:
– “Why Accurate Human Embryology Is Needed To Evaluate Current Trends In Research Involving Stem Cells, Genetic Engineering, Synthetic Biology and Nanotechnology” (November 20, 2012), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_206accuratehumanembryology1.html
– “Any Human Cell – iPS, Direct Programmed, Embryonic, Fetal or Adult – Can Be Genetically Engineered to Asexually Reproduce New Human Embryos for Purposes of Reproduction (‘Infertility’)” (November 2011), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_194cellasexuallyreproduce1.html
– Irving Re Gardner’s Rejection of Herranz’s New “Theory” on Human MZ Twinning (March 14, 2014), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_220rejectionherranztheory.html
– Irving Re Denker’s “Comments on G. Herranz: The timing of monozygotic twinning: a criticism of the common model” in Zygote (2013) (Feb. 20, 2014), at:
– “Personhood ‘Language’ 2008 – 2011” (October 2, 2011), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_192personhoodlanguage.html
– “’Revival’ of St. Thomas’ Philosophy – Yes, But Not His Erroneous ‘Delayed Personhood’ Argument; Concerns for Beginning and End of Life Issues” (April 4, 2011), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_185revival.st.thomas1.html
– “A One-Act Play: ‘Crippled Consciences and the Human Embryo’”, presented at Medicine and Human Dignity’s “International Bioethics Conference: ‘Conceiving the embryo’“, (re human cloning and human embryonic stem cell research), Brussels, Belgium, (and CD-Rom), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_178one-act-play1.html.
– “American Medical Association’s “Narrow Definitions”, Legal “Re-definitions” … and Reproductive Cloning” (October 9, 2009), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_170ama1.html
– Junk Science In, Junk Prolife Out (October 28, 2013), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_218junksciencejunkprolife1.html
– “Pre-embryos” and “Pre-embryo substitutes”: Safeguarding human life “from the very beginning”? (June 8, 2009), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_164safeguardinglife.html
– “Abortifacients and the Role of Correct Science in Counseling, the Formation of Conscience, and Moral Decision Making” (April 12, 2009), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_140correctscience1.html
– Irving and Kischer, “Scientific Response to Criticism of the California Human Rights Amendment as ‘Protecting Fertilized Eggs’” (December 9, 2009), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_175responsecalifornia.html
– Irving and Kischer , “Responses to Dr. Condic’s ‘Science’ in National Catholic Register Interview” (January 6, 2010), at:
– “Condic’s ‘Pre-Zygote’ Error in ‘When Does Human Life Begin?’” (November 18, 2008), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_134maureencondic1.html
– “Human Embryology and Church Teachings” (September 15, 2008), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/em/em_132embryologychurch1.html; also published in The New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., Supplement 2009, (Detroit: Gayle), pp. 287-312, as “Embryology, Human”; see http://www.gale.cengage.com/NCE/; also at: http://www.personhood.ca/pdfs/embryology_human.pdf
– “Comments: CRTL Acknowledges Irving’s Scientific, Moral and Legal Arguments on ‘Personhood’” (July 17, 2008), at: http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_131personhoodandcrtl.html
Even though he really didn’t have to, then-Pope Bendict XVI liberated the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) aka Tridentine Mass aka Mass of All Times, to be freely celebrated by any Latin Rite priest anywhere, any time, without reservation and NO need for any approval of the local ordinary.
The TLM was made free to be celebrated and could not be taken away in perpetuity by Pope St Pius V with the Bull Quo Primum in 1570.
Pope John Paul II reaffirmed that with Ecclessia Dei in 1984, further expanding a request (not a demand) for generous application of allowing the Holy Mass under the Latin rubrics in 1988. Even then, stingy, crusty, intolerant liberal bishops refused to make the Rite available or accessible for both clergy and faithful genuinely attached to it. The post-Vatican II liberal bishops though they could snuff the Rite out over time, hoping older people dying would do it by attrition.
They were wrong. God will not be mocked. The Rite is stronger than ever, even if Rome under Pope Francis persists in not reconciling itself with the reasonable demands of the likes of the Society of St Pius X. Young people are swarming to the Mass of All Times, they would were not even born when the Novus Ordo and its many de-Catholicized defects took hold in 1970 under Pope Paul VI.
Seven years ago this week, Pope Benedict would deliver the relief of my life. He declared that what we did in those days was legal. He affirmed what we told ourselves as we were chased out of that parish, that this form of worship had never been abolished and never ought to be.
On the very portentious date of July 7, 2007, he issued the document Summorum Pontificum, which liberated that Traditional Mass. By doing so he established his legacy as a brave pope. He also did a great service for culture and the arts, for the whole world — even for nonbelievers, those whom the TLM had converted by the thousands over a millenia of use, with the core of the canon of the TLM going back to the 6th century under Pope St Leo the Great.
While he too had many negatives, for Pope Benedict XVI this was one of the crown jewel moments for the German professor and intellectual during his 8 year pontificate.
May this light on a hill continue to shine forever.